In this video, Jonah walks you through the assembly of our Kern Kitchen Cart (Part #50033). This ready-to-assemble kit will include everything you need to create a stunning utility cart with casters for easy portability. The legs on this design are mission-style and will look beautiful in your contemporary space.
The entire kit will include:
- Four (4) Kern Contemporary Two Sided Mission Posts (Part #143058)
- One Wooden Table Top with Square Edge
- Two Wooden Shelves
- Four-Sided Skirt Kit (includes four corner blocks, skirting materials and attachment hardware)
- Four (4) Vintage Cast Iron 2" Caster Wheels (Part #4910)
See written assembly instructions below the video.
- Four (4) Kern Mission Island Legs 34 ½” x 3”
- One (1) Table Top with Square Edge
- Two (2) Shelves
- Four-Sided Skirt Kit (features four corner blocks, skirting materials and attachment hardware)
- Four (4) Vintage Cast Iron 2” Caster Wheels
- All Necessary Attachment Hardware
You will need:
- Measuring Tape or Ruler
- Long Square Tip Bit
- Long Drill Bit
- ½” Wrench
- Wood Glue
- First, you will need to begin assembling the table skirt. You will initially only attach the skirting material to one side of the cart (two of the island legs). Do this by adding wood glue inside each mortise and around each tenon. Once you have placed the skirt board onto the leg, use the pocket holes and included pan head screws to secure the pieces together. You should have two legs and three skirt boards assembled at this point. Note: Make sure the legs are positioned with the mission carvings facing toward the outside of the structure.
- Next, you will add the shelves to the premade shelf notches in the two legs. Add a little bit of glue into the notches and insert the shelves. Note: Make sure that the grain is oriented the desired direction. These will be a tight fit and may require a slight tap of a mallet for complete installation. You may notice the bottom shelf is not fully attached. This will be completed in a later step.
- Now you will attach the other two island legs. Add glue into the shelf notches on the legs, as well as the mortise. Hand fit the legs onto the skirting and shelves. Firmly secure everything by drilling pan head screws into the pocket holes.
- Add the corner blocks into the inner side of the skirt by using the included hanger bolt and pocket holes. Screw the hanger bolt with washer into the threaded insert on the inner side of the legs. Use a wrench to tighten the bolt. Add screws to the pocket holes for a secure fit.
- Flip the assembly over. Now, you will secure the bottom shelf using the countersunk holes in the bottom of the legs. Note: We recommend pre drilling with a long drill bit past the countersunk hole into the shelf itself to prevent splitting. With a long square tip bit, drill the screws into the countersunk holes to secure the bottom shelf.
- Next, you will install the casters to the bottom of the legs. Hold the casters onto the leg (ensuring that they do not overlap the countersunk holes) and pre-drill holes for easier assembly. Use the included screws to attach the casters.
- Finally, you can attach the tabletop. The size of the top will allow for a 1” overhang on all four sides. Center the base on the top, measuring 1” on each side. Use the pocket holes in the skirt boards to attach the tabletop to the skirt with the remaining screws.
- Assembly is complete! You can now apply the finish of your choice.